74-76 Liverpool Street
74-76 Liverpool Street is located on the south side of Liverpool Street, west of Dublin Street North, in the City of Guelph. The two-storey stone dwelling was constructed in circa 1872. The property was designated, by the City of Guelph, in 1991, for its heritage value, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, By-law (1991)-14004.
74-76 Liverpool Street is associated with William Pearson, a well known local builder and stone mason whose largest contract was the masonry work for the Second Methodist Church (Dublin Street United Church), which was built in 1874. 74-76 Liverpool Street was built in circa 1872, as a single stone dwelling by Pearson, for himself. He retained ownership of the residence until 1879, when the house was purchased by local grocer and fruit merchant Hugh Walker. Walker, who represented St. Andrew's Ward as Alderman between the years 1897-1901, lived in the residence with his family until 1911.
74-76 Liverpool, a two-storey dwelling constructed of local limestone, is representative of the stone dwellings built in Guelph at the end of the nineteenth century. The stone craftsmanship of this building is enhanced by two matching bay windows on the Liverpool Street facade. In 1894, under the ownership of Hugh Walker, a two-storey stone addition was added to the east wall, converting it from a single dwelling into two units.
Sources: City of Guelph By-law Number (1991)-14004; Designation Proposal from the Corporation of the City of Guelph.