7 Waterloo Avenue
Constructed in 1853, this two-storey stone house is located close to the original core of the city. This building is recognized by the City of Guelph for its heritage value under By-Law (1989) – 13198.
7 Waterloo Avenue is an early example of Neo-Classical stone construction in Guelph and exhibits both historic and architectural value. Originally serving as both a residence and a grocery store, it was built in 1853 for William Samuel Godwin Knowles. As one of Guelph’s earliest settlers he served as a Town Councillor for the Town of Guelph from 1852 to 1853 and as Reeve of Guelph in 1854 and was only narrowly defeated for the position of Mayor in 1855. He was also the founding first officer of the Guelph Horticultural Society and a founding council member of the Board of Trade.
Situated near downtown Guelph in a group of buildings of similar age, this house is characteristic of Guelph's early development and a part of its limestone-built heritage.
Sources: City of Guelph By-Law (1989) 13198; 'Designated Buildings and Structures of Architectural and Historic Interest in the City of Guelph, 1977-1994,' 1994, City of Guelph LACAC