15 Oxford Street
The Perry-Scroggie House is located at 15 Oxford Street, on the north side of Oxford Street, between Dublin and Norfolk Streets, in the City of Guelph. The one-storey limestone building was constructed in circa 1862. The property was designated, by the City of Guelph, in 1983, for its historic and architectural value, under
The Perry-Scroggie House was built for, and originally resided in by a prominent citizen, James Perry. Another resident of the house was David Scroggie. During the 1880s and 1890s, Scroggie served as an Alderman and as the City Treasurer. For over 60 years the cottage was home to his family. His daughter Martha Ann Scroggie was a leading artist, at the turn of the century. The home was occasionally used to display her paintings, some of which can now be viewed in the MacDonald Stewart Art Centre.
The Perry-Scroggie House is a Regency style cottage that is considered to be one of the finest mid-19th century stone cottages, in the City of Guelph. Built of local limestone, the house is finely proportioned with a symmetrical five-bay façade. Its distinguishing features include unusually tall twelve-pane shuttered windows and an entrance door, which is highlighted by a flat transom and thin sidelights. The low pitched roof features two chimneys of parged brick.
Source: City of Guelph By-Law (1983)-11115.