Heffernan Street Footbridge
The Heffernan Street Footbridge spans the Speed River, in downtown Guelph, from Arthur Street to Woolwich Street, rising over Heffernan Street and spanning the Speed River. The two-span, reinforced concrete, open-spandrel arch bridge was built in 1914.
The property was designated, by the City of Guelph, in 1990, for its heritage value, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, By-law 1990-13541.
Built in 1914 to replace an earlier metal arch bridge, the Heffernan Street Footbridge is part of a pedestrian route which was developed in the mid 19th Century, from St. George's Ward residential neighbourhood to the City of Guelph's downtown commercial centre. A footbridge has been in place at this site since 1881.
Designed by Ernest E. Clawson, the City Engineer, and built in 1914, by Galbraith and Cate, the Heffernan Street Foot Bridge is a representative example of an open-spandrel arch bridge. It was constructed of reinforced concrete, a material that was, by 1914, playing an increasingly prominent role in bridge construction.
The Heffernan Street Footbridge is a visually distinctive piece of Guelph's landscape. It is clearly visible from the two other main bridges in Guelph's City Centre. It forms a graceful double curve, often reflected in the water below.
Source: City of Guelph By-law 1990-13541.