87 Liverpool Street
87 Liverpool Street is just east of the intersection of Liverpool Street and Glasgow Street North, on the north side of Liverpool Street, in the City of Guelph. The two-storey, red-brick residence was constructed in 1876. The property was designated, by the City of Guelph, in 1992, for its heritage value, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, By-Law (1992) - 14254.
Built in 1876, 87 Liverpool was the first residence constructed on the north side of Liverpool Street, between Dublin Street and Glasgow Street, and remained so until 1892. As such, it is an important visual reminder of the development of the area as a residential neighbourhood, in the late nineteenth century.
87 Liverpool is associated with Christopher Campbell, a local manufacturer of soap and candles. Campbell was also a partner of Guelph merchant James Massie in the firm “Massie and Campbell”, manufacturers of wholesale biscuits and confectioneries. Campbell occupied the building until 1891. The dwelling was then owned by George T. Moore, an organ regulator with the Bell Organ and Piano Company.
87 Liverpool Street is a two-storey Italianate dwelling constructed of red brick. The dwelling features many elements of Italianate architecture style, including raised quoins, a hip roof, strong buff brick accents and arched lintels over arched double windows. The front entrance is highlighted by a decorative carved lintel, glass sidelights and a fanlight. Of particular significance, is the unusual brick and pier construction. In 1891, under George T. Moore's ownership, the front porch and the rear brick addition were added.
Sources: City of Guelph By-law Number (1992) - 14254; Designation Proposal from the Corporation of the City of Guelph.