83 King Street
83 King Street is situated east of the intersection of King Street and Eramosa Road, on the north side of King Street. The two-storey yellow-brick dwelling was constructed in 1875. The property was designated, by the City of Guelph in 1994, for its heritage value, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, By-law (1994) - 14753.
Contributing to an historic neighbourhood, 83 King Street is situated on an impressive site, overlooking the downtown core of the City of Guelph.
83 King Street was constructed in 1875 for John M. Bond, a native of Queen's County, Ireland. Bond came to Guelph in 1866 and opened up the John M. Bond and Co. Hardware store. He was one of the best known Guelph merchants of his time, and was director of both the Guelph and Ontario Investment and Savings Society and the Guelph General Hospital. Following his death in 1906, the house remained occupied by his family until it was sold, in 1929, to the next long time owner, George F. Crawley, a contractor by trade.
83 King Street is a good example of the Italianate style of architecture. The large yellow-brick dwelling was designed by architect Victor Stewart and built by Frederick J. Chubb. It is well-proportioned in design, featuring two bay windows on the first floor. The main entrance is highlighted by a transom and a decorative canopy. The roof is enhanced by projecting eaves, which are supported by brackets, and four matching yellow-brick chimneys. Many of the building's original features are still intact, including the decorative porch on the east side. In 1929, contractor George F. Crawley divided the house into five apartment units.
Source: City of Guelph By-law Number (1994) – 14753.