268-270 Woolwich Street
268-270 Woolwich Street is situated on the southwest corner of Woolwich and Edwin Streets, in the City of Guelph. The two-storey limestone building, designed in the Italianate style, was constructed in circa 1850. The property was designated, by the City of Guelph, for its architectural value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, By-law (1980)-10466.
268-270 Woolwich Street displays stone masonry and carvings of the finest characteristics, for Guelph's mid-century construction period. The building's main façade features architectural elements that are rare among other Ontario buildings, constructed during this era. Built in circa 1850, this double was constructed of local limestone and framed with bevelled corner quoins. The ashlar limestone masonry was crowned with a classic stone cornice. The two over two sash windows are accented with carved stone architraves and sill brackets. The first floor windows display protruding decorative hood moulds. Three Tuscan-style pilasters, each carved from a single block of stone, frame the recessed entrances and support a classic entablature.
Sources: City of Guelph By-law (1980)-10466; Designated Buildings and Structures, Guelph LACAC, 1994.