204 College Avenue West
204 College Avenue West is on the southwest corner of College Avenue West and Scottsdale Drive, in the City of Guelph. The two-storey limestone dwelling was constructed in circa 1870. The property was designated, by the City of Guelph, in 1991, for its heritage value, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, By-law (1991) - 13889.
Located on the southwest corner of College Avenue West and Scottsdale Drive, 204 College Avenue West, has a prominent location, with views from each street. Surrounded by mature trees, the house hints at its original setting, that of a rural property.
204 College Avenue West serves as a reminder of the stone farmhouses, which were once part of the rural lands outside of the City's original boundaries. The dwelling was likely built for Simon Smith, a well-known stone cutter and much respected resident of Guelph. The dwelling and surrounding lands remained with the Smith family until 1889. It is also thought that the house was originally built as a one-and-a-half storey building, and later upgraded to two-storeys, in circa 1990.
204 College Avenue West is a good representation of a stone farmhouse with fine craftsmanship. Of architectural note is the limestone exterior, common in the local area, the gabled roofline and the original pine floors in the interior.
Source: City of Guelph By-law (1991) – 13889.