16 Edwin Street
This limestone cottage was built in 1873 by local masonry contractor Thomas Dobbie. Dobbie, along with partner Walter Grierson, was responsible for the stonework on a number of major downtown buildings including the original Provincial Winter Fair Building and the Post Office/Customs House in St. George’s Square. The lot occupied by this cottage was first purchased by the Dobbie family in 1862, and after its construction the dwelling was leased to a number of tenants including Henry H. Swinford, the town’s Inspector of Weights and Measures. Thomas Dobbie retained ownership of the property until 1886. In 1891, hotel clerk John Kelly purchased the building which remained in the Kelly family to 1973. The owners at the time of designation, Peter and Anne MacDougall, have continued to make improvements to the dwelling which were initiated by former owner Bridget O’Brien in the early 1990s.
Source: City of Guelph Designation By-law: (1995)-14960