60 Carden Street
Built in 1922, the two-storey pink buff brick structure is typical of Guelph’s 1920s era industrial buildings. It is of a functional Neo-Classic industrial design, with a flat roof and an L-shaped plan. Decoration is minimal, though the south and east elevations feature pilastered walls and a corbelled parapet. The façade is divided into seven sections of two bays. The paired windows on each floor have slightly arched heads. To the rear of the building is a distinctive square smokestack.
Architecturally the building is representative in scale, construction and appearance of small industrial/commercial buildings common at the turn of the century, now rare in the centre of Guelph. The building’s connection with the City’s early industrial growth and its importance as a local landmark warrant its consideration for historic designation under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, R.S.O. 1990, Chapter 0.18. The smokestack to the rear of the building has become a local landmark and complements the smokestack that stands at Goldie Mill Park, which is located across the street.
Source: City of Guelph Designation By-law (2008)-18532