The arrival of the Grand Trunk Railway and the Galt and Guelph Railway (the "junction" refers to where the two railways meet) heralded the birth of new residential growth around what is now known as the "Junction" located west of Edinburgh Road, south of London Road, north of Waterloo Avenue, to the city limit (at the time) of Silvercreek Road (Pkwy). Howitt Creek and the Silver Creek run through the heart of the Junction neighbourhood.
Image of the Junction Neighbourhood
area, from Map of Guelph, 1868
(Guelph Civic Museum).