Shortly after his arrival in 1827, city founder John Galt began selling lots for business and settlement in his role as Superintendent of the Canada Company. The first residential neighbourhood was located between Dublin Street to the west, Neeve Street to the east, Essex Street to the north and Surrey Street to the south.
The earliest recorded private home was a log cabin built by John Oliver on Canada Company Lot 1. The oldest surviving house in Guelph's oldest residential district is a simple wood frame house at 81 Farquahar Street.
As mills and businesses were built along the river, residential neighbourhoods soon followed.
Enjoy the neighbourhood histories we have provided here.